Free Guide Download


Choosing Your Car Insurance

Insurance is a legal requirement for anyone who drives a car, but the level of cover you’d like is totally up to you.

There are three main types that you can choose from: Third-party only, Third-party fire and theft & Comprehensive

Each has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to get a quote for each before you make a decision. After all, there’s no point saving a few pennies now if the insurance you pick leaves you without the kind of cover you really need.

Third Party-Only
This is your entry-level insurance, giving you all the cover you need to be able to legally drive your car. Third-party insurance covers:

  • Damage to other vehicles
  • Injury to other people and animals
  • Damage to property

It’s important to note with this insurance that you’re only covered for any injury or car damage that you cause for other people. So if you cause an accident and suffer injury or car damage yourself, it’s still your responsibility to cover the cost.

Third-Party Fire and Theft
As you might guess, third-party fire and theft gives you everything you’d expect with regular third-party insurance, plus you’ll be covered if your car is stolen or catches fire.

Depending on which policy you choose, this might also cover you for any damage caused by attempted break-ins.

This is the most common and, as the title suggests, the most comprehensive option, covering everything in third-party fire and theft, but with additional cover for wider damage to your vehicle.

You might also find that some policies cover you to drive hire cars or other people’s cars, but usually only up to third party level.

Beat the Jargon

What’s the first letter of the jargon you want to learn about?